Thursday, January 25, 2007

Oh Happy Day!


As some of you know my husband Greg got too many traffic tickets in a year, and his license was suspended last September. It was suspended for four months, which is a problem for us since his occupation is 'truck driver'.

As of today, he is once again a licensed driver, and we are both quite excited about it. I am excited that I don't have to drive us everywhere, and he's excited to have his freedom back. He also apparently does not think I am the greatest driver...however, I have indeed managed to keep my license all this time, so I guess that speaks for itself! (hehehe)

Ladies, don't take for granted your husbands driving! Here is what I discovered:



  1. You can't finish doing your hair/make-up on the way.

  2. You can't read, look through the mail, or balance the check book.

  3. Forget that precious sleep time on long trips. He gets to do the sleeping now.

  4. No preparing for your Upwards practices/games on the way there.

  5. If you are both being stubborn about where to eat, you are indeed forced to make the ultimate decision.

  6. When the weather/roads are bad, you've got to suck it up, and do your best. (ok, different times on the way to Mom and Dad's we had to go through blinding sheets of rain, fog so thick you couldn't see, and a winter blizzard where the highways were 50% ice.) I do not advise traveling to Peoria. It's a death trap!

  7. Now you have to listen to the back seat driver.

  8. You cannot clean the car while traveling.

  9. You cannot Sudoku.

  10. You can't drop yourself off at the door at Walmart.

One PLUS is that you don't have to deal with the children while driving! Yeah!


Seriously though, Greg has been sensative to me about the situation, and tried to make it as easy as possible on me. I appreciate him so much. Those of you who know, please pray for his job situation, that he will get back to driving as soon as possible.




8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Mandy
Tell Greg congrats! I can only imagine how hard that would have to be for both of you. Your list was so funny! I laughed out loud on the one about being stubborn and having to make the decision on where to eat. It's like you are in our car on Sunday afternoons...
I will say that through years of running late I perfected putting on my "eyes" and "lips" while driving to and from Georgetown. It is a habit i've had to make myself stop now that I have the kids with me. Which would explain why I show up to Thursday school without makeup so many times!

Anonymous said...

congrats greg! i was going to send you both balloons today, but i forgot. it's the thought that counts right! i totally agree with you mandy about sleeping in the car. just about a month ago we were going to indy and i was driving and i noticed some "new" devlopment going on around brownsburg. i said "look ryan, they are really building fast". he said "megan they have been working on this for a long time, you are just always asleep by the time we get this far down the road!" i started to defend myself and then quickly realized he was right. :)

Gretchen said...

Mandy, HAAAAaaaaaaaaalarious!! You are SO right about doing those things in the car! I TOTALLY do all those things and would VERY much miss it if I did not have that extra time, especially how far we had to drive to church in the past! :)

Great job with the blog! You are a fantastic writer, and I can totally hear your voice in it! (for instance starting a sentence with "okay," is VERY Mandy! I love it! :) It makes me happy but miss you at the same time. :) I think you are achieving with your blog what you may have hoped to achieve -- true humor (in a balanced, not mean-spirited sort of way.)

I am starting to think you should just keep your title what it is with the temporary title right on there. That would be pretty funny like a year from now.

Tell Greg we said "ALRIGHT!" We're very proud of him, so he better drive carefully now! We will be praying that his job would be able to shift back to where he'd prefer it to be.

How has Upward been going? We hope to maybe come see one more game this season, depending on how many visitors we should expect in February.

Talk to you later,
Gret

Anonymous said...

Yay for Mandy!!! (and Greg, of course!)

Mandy said...

Steph - you see me at Thursday school in the mornings! I'm sure her teachers are like 'how can the child be so put-together when the mother looks like that!'

Megan - Balloons would have been rather nice! yes, I can't wait to catch up on some car sleep! It's the best.

Gret - Thanks, you are so nice. I really am not a good writer, but I try.

Hey, I need your email address. Do you think you could post it? Or I can post mine, either way.

I hope you had a great week at work!

Thanks Brit!

Sandy said...

This isn't gonna make you even MORE likely to have a reason to skip the Y is it?? Seriously, congratulations Greg, any bets on how long he holds onto this license? After riding with me today, I bet Mandy wishes that someone would take MY license away!

Sandy said...

I think he was just trying to show off his bicep in the picture!

The Tiffinian said...

So what's he going to do with his Schwinn (Huffy?) now that he's legal again? Maybe he should hold on to it just in case...